Monday, November 23, 2015

RV Boot Camp -- Day 26

Buying an RV and deciding to live in it full time is not a propostion to be undertaken lightly.  There are variables, factors, and considerations several of which are unique to the individual. What kind of RV should you get? What are you going to do with all the stuff that you can’t take with you? How are you going to survive being with your family in 200 sq ft of space 24/7?


There is no single answer that is right for everyone in general, as we are all different personalities with varied interests and priorities. However, there is one thing that I would recommend to anyone that is considering the RV lifestyle.


RESEARCH.


It cannot be overstated. This is a field that has so many interesting nuances that you will never stop learning new things. I have come across people that have been RVing for decades and they always have new stories to tell about new learning experiences. The internet is a wonderful resource, and we spent many hours watching videos on YouTube about everything from how to dump your black water tanks to what cell phone booster is the best for your coverage area. I joined forums (iRV2.com is my favorite) and clubs (Good Sam and Escapees are my favorites) and will talk to anybody that wants to tell me anything about their RV experience. By far, the single greatest investment that I have made was RV Boot Camp.





Three days of intense training on how to safely maintain and operate your RV. Starting with the basics of which kind of RV is right for you -- motorhome (Class A, B, C?), trailer (5th wheel, bumper pull?) -- to the important (fire safety, how to drive safely); this is the most important thing that I’ve done since we bought our rig. I would highly recommend it to anyone that is thinking about doing any kind of RVing, whether full time, or just weekenders. My biggest discovery was that I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I’ve done tons of research, but I was limited to the questions that I could come up with. There were entire areas that I didn’t even know that I should be looking into (like how many fire extinguishers should I have? The answer is 5.)


It was a really cool experience, too. We met lots of cool people, some of whom were brand-new to RVing like us, and some that had been doing it for years. RV people are some of the nicest people that I’ve ever met, and these friends that we made I hope to be in touch with for many years to come. When you’re on the road, the whole nation becomes your community, and you never know where you might run into your friends. Or maybe decide to meet up with them at some remote location, like Big Bend National Park (literally the largest National Park in the system, and the least visited.) The beauty of this adventure is that we are only limited by our imaginations (and the physical abilities of our rig.)


So now that I’ve graduated from RV Boot Camp, and the winter chill is in the air (33 degrees when I woke up this morning,) it’s  time for us to head south. We’re looking at spending the next week in Bay City, Texas, at the 60 North RV Park. One reviewer said the WiFi is faster than what he has at home, so that should be happy. Also, there is a disc golf course 4 miles from the RV park, so that’s a bonus. Now, if only they had a big forest, too.

I guess that’s where we’ll be heading the following week. Maybe. Ask me again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment